Thursday, August 16, 2007

Basic Black Beans

I'm very poor. So poor, in fact, that I probably will not be able to purchase food for at least 2 more weeks.
I've been looking around the house for substantial things to eat, and found a bag of black beans. I've never made just, you know, black beans, but I was pretty impressed with how they turned out. They're definitely simple, not a lot of robust flavor, but sometimes that's just what you want, right?
So before I completely forget what I did, here's the gist:

1 bag black beans
1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
2 cans vegetable broth
1 can tomato paste

to taste:

brown sugar
cumin
garlic salt
black pepper

Cook in slow cooker 6-12 hours
Add:

1-2 cups tvp
1 can corn (or frozen corn)

Cook until tvp is tender.

Eat over rice, with chips, in tacos, on pasta, on taco salad, in a burrito, or however else it may be tasty.

Ideas for next time:

chili powder
maybe curry black beans??

No comments: